Tuesday, February 9, 2010

my favourite things: birthdays {part two}


.................

mmm... february 9th is a special day in the family rikrak.

it's the birthday of two of my favourite folks:
my most wonderful soon-to-be sister-in-law and my lovely lovely niece. both of these wonderwomen inspire me with their love-of-life, their kindkind hearts and their joyful & beautiful smiles. to know them is to just plain adore them. i just love you sweeties, a & j.


now, last year on this day i shared some little birthday cake recipes in their honour, and i thought it might be a fun tradition again this year!

you see, to know me, is to know that i'm a terrible terrible baker.{i like to call myself an *optimistic* baker: don't have an ingredient in the recipe? no worries: let's substitute! no baking soda? how about more baking powder! can't find the measuring spoons? how about i'll just estimate with the palm of my hand! apparently the science of baking doesn't LOVE creative substitutions as much as i do! hence, delightfully terrible cakes, hard-as-nails cookies, and pies you can use as doorstops!)

but this doesn't stop me from
a) baking (my poor poor family!)
and b) loving fun cakes
and c) loving birthday cakes most of all!

so here are a few yummy yummy cake recipes for you better-than-me bakers out there, (like the birthday girl, j., an amazing pastry-chef-in-training!) from two of my favourite pretty pretty baking recipe sites: cannelle et vanille, and tartelette.

and a & j, happiest of birthdays to you, sweetiepies.
may it be a fabulous, wonderful, filled-with-laughter year ahead for you both.

thanks for inspiring me, lovelies.
what's your favourite kind of cake?


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your special family, RR! They sound great just like you!!

    I'd love that chocolate mousse cake. I might try to tackle it for Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your family! It so happens to be my birthday today also! I'm a big fan of carrot cake and stawberry shortcake. Hoping for one or the other tonight after dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the wellwishes, nicies!
    and happy bday, michele! YUM - i hope you get BOTH cakes!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how birthdays always seem to cluster in families? My husband is June 12, my brother in law is June 13, and my sister in law is June 14. It makes for a big long birthday extravaganza and of course just turns into one big party for everyone---the best way to celebrate!

    Have lots of fun with family and with those cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your family! I agree with Anne. It is often the case that families have clustering birthdays. Ours mostly fall in August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a recipe for Reeses peanut butter fudge cake with ganache icing....to die for good!!! Happy birthday to your lovely ladies.
    Your friend,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could those cakes look any tastier?! I especially like the looks of those milk chocolate passion fruit bars....yum.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!