Thursday, February 25, 2010

collections: with crafterall


i just love seeing what folks are collecting. i guess i kind of feel it tells us just a little bit about what inspires them, what they love, and what they choose to surround themselves with in their home. today, i'm delighted to present the next in the rikrak studio's collections series: 11 & a 1/2 quick questions with a wonderful artist on what they're collecting, (apart from their art supplies! ) you can also check out my new *the collectors* series, based on these posts, on Etsy's blog, the storque! hope you'll just love: adorable knick-knacks with the wonderful crafterall.

.....................





you know those days when you need a pick-me-up, a little je ne sais quoi?
have i got the tonic for YOU!


alrighty... turn on your computer.
head directly to the beautiful crafterall shop.
escape to Marnie's amazing worlds of topographical delight!
enjoy!

i've been a longtime fan of this favourite shop.
from the first time i remember seeing marnie's beautiful & imaginative papercut work i was smitten.

first of all, she's a paper wizard! her magical way of combining wonderfully imaginative new vistas and discovering sensational new secret islands, lands & waterways in her topo paper works makes her a modern-day magellan or columbus. on top of that, her delightful ability to re-create beloved, favourite-to-us custom shores and waters is the prefect guilt-free escape!

she's also an amazing and warm member of our artistic community - and i love the way she isn't afraid to show her appreciation for things, to support others in our handmaking worlds, and cheer-on and encourage those around her. she's one of the most positive souls i know - and i just love that!

as one of her many fans, i highly recommend an escape to her most beautiful shop and fun blogs. you can find her paper delights in numerous brick & mortar shops, too, including one of my favourite art boutiques in the world: the fabulous & famous MOMA shop! bravo, crafterall!

and now.... a little peek into Marnie's magical at-home world, and her fabulous collection.

..................


who (are you) : My name is Marnie, I’m currently at home with my youngest of two daughters, selling my art on Etsy, and learning to build Web sites.

what (are you collecting) : In general, I collect knick-knacks, but specifically, I collect Hagen-Renaker animals and other miniatures that call to me.

when (did you start) : I bought my first Hagen-Renaker bunny with some birthday money when I was 10. I carried it everywhere in a little jewelry box with batting and took it out when I thought no one was looking.

how (many do you have?): I have a bunch and they’re scattered around my home. The bigger ones are in a corner cabinet in the dining room, and others occupy special little nooks here and there. where (do you find them) : Some were given to me, others I purchased. I love to pick up little ones when I travel, so many are from England. I’ve captured the most recent additions via Etsy.

where (do you keep them) : Most of them live in one of three large, vintage type trays mounted to our living room wall. I like to think that they come alive and have adventures while we’re away, and that they clamber back up into their places just before we come home. Some of them have a very sneaky look in their eyes, don’t you think?

what (‘s a crazy/interesting story behind one) : The little kid carrying the stack of cut wood is extra special to me. In my childhood home, we heated our house exclusively with a wood stove in the basement. Every fall, when the delivery of wood arrived, there was a whole weekend devoted to cutting, splitting, hauling, and stacking the wood supply. Then, as needed, we slid the pieces down an old metal slide into the basement to be stacked there. My three brothers and I always grumbled about the work, but once we began, we sang songs, told jokes, and laughed so hard at times we almost dropped the wood on our toes. My mom gave me this figurine in memory of those honey-golden times.
what (piece would you like to add): I’d love to have even more Hagen-Renaker animals as they hold so much character in their posture and in their faces. I’d also like to get a buddy for my adorable gnome from Etsy seller Dannielle; he is so well made and he makes me smile whenever I see him.

why (do you love them) : For some, I love them because they exude so much charm. I’m a sucker for the tiniest little details and I fall for a cute face. For most, however, I hold them dear because I associate them with a special memory, a significant place, or an unforgettable moment.
which (one is your favourite) & why : I cannot and will not choose a favorite, but the one that perhaps means the most to me is still the original piece to collection – the tiny little brown bunny with a broken ear and a curious look on his face.

what (else do you collect) : Aside from dust bunnies around the house, I also collect good music, original art, ridiculous jokes, and photos of my girls, and kisses from my husband.





thanks so much, marnie!
and have a gorgeous day, filled with delightful little escapes, nicies!
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Her work is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love those topos....
    and the bunnies!!

    Audrey
    AudreyGardenLady at etsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Marnie's art! I have one of her papercut flowers hanging in my studio. I really want to get one of her topos too! Cute collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a fan of her creations for a wihle now, too. Beautiful color palettes she chooses. I love the display of her collectibles. Charming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a big fan of Marnie - lovely to hear about her collection of minatures. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful glimpse into Marnie's world! I met her recently at a HandmadeMN street team event, and no wonder I was immediately comfortable with her. The stories of her collection are so warm and charming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing this view into marnie's world! this is news to me and i am very good friends with this magical woman! i never would have thought to ask her about her collections- so thanks rikrak for helping me get to know her even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are spectacular! What an ingenious way to combine science and art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Crafterall Shop is so fantastic. I found it a while back and all I could think is, "how do they cut the paper so evenly?!".

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!