Friday, March 13, 2009

collections: with laura bucci


i just love seeing what folks are collecting. i guess i kind of feel it tells us just a little bit about what inspires them, what they love, and what they choose to surround themselves with in their home. today, i'm delighted to present the next in the rikrak studio's collections series: 11 & a 1/2 quick questions with a wonderful artist on what they're collecting, (apart from their art supplies! ) hope you'll just love: ceramics: with the wonderful Laura Bucci.


who (are you?) : Laura Bucci doing business as Laura Bucci

what (are you collecting?) : retro/modern and contemporary one-of-kind ceramics

when (did you start?) : about 2 years ago

how (many do you have?) : about 6 different retro ceramics, about 12 one-of-a-kind cups & other pieces

where (do you find them?) : the retro and modern at thrift stores, the contemporary one-of-a-kind at craft shows or craft/artisan shops

where (do you keep them?) : I use them all, so I keep them in the kitchen. The cups are all on a kitchen wall shelf so I can also visually enjoy the collection every day.

what (‘s an interesting story behind one?) : sometimes artists are funny, some look more like artists than others. I bought the small rectangular plate at our annual 'Culture Crawl' (a 3-day event where you visit artists' studios). the artist of this plate was a small, young woman and there she was sitting on a short stool in a little corner, in her super tiny windowless studio with her wares all about her, looking really humble, and selling really cheaply. And I thought, good for her for having this tiny, albeit suffocating little space. You go girl! oh, how I wished I had bought five of those little plates, they all had funny little images on them. So anyway, I can't get this image of the artist out of my head, when I see this plate I really do remember her that way.

what
(piece would you like to add?) : Anything that is 'Canadiana'

why (do you love them?) : the retro stuff: I love the memory of a different era during which design took a new direction; the contemporary stuff: it makes me aware of the artist, someone thought about this and created it by hand and it's going to be new to anyone that drinks from the cup

which (one is your favourite?) & why? right now I love my latest find: the blue Medicine Hat cup. I love the colour and most importantly because it is Canadian, it tells me that is was made in celebration of a nursing home, and it has a sense of humour...when you finish your drink, the words "Now back to work" stare up at you

what (else do you collect?) : fridge magnets, religious and native/aboriginal carvings and imagery from all over the world


....................................................................

thanks so much, Laura!

Laura's beautiful handmade work is simply refreshing & delightful. i've had the joy of seeing her impeccable handiwork up close, and can attest to the beautiful nature & incomparable quality of her talent. she's a multi-talented wonderwoman, mastering numerous arts including crochet, knitting, felting, and her most recent accessories works in natural fabrics are just beautiful! (and she's a great supporter of, and encourager in the handmade community... and remember her beautiful inspiration board? wow!) take a look @ this brilliant pocket cup cozy! fabulous!

Laura also crafts gorgeous wallets, purses, cuffs & more!
be sure to visit her lovely lovely shop and blog.


ah... delightful & refreshing, indeed. thanks so much, Laura!
wishing you all a delightful & refreshing weekend.

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. That turquoise mug is hilarious! Have a great weekend, RR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that medicine hat cup- what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, great collection, indeed fun to see what people collect :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm living vicariously through this series - love it! And I recognise those dishes near the end - I think my grama has a set in here basement kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just discovered your blog--thought you might enjoy mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mug is definitely what I need!
    OH...THANK YOU FOR THE PACKAGE...it arrived last night!!!
    I have posted on my blog for the World to see your awesome giveaway...
    http://weblogartists.blogspot.com/2009/03/thursday-thankfuls.html
    Hugs and thanks...they're all gorgeous!
    Char.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I found your blog from We Blog Artists! Cute shop! I love your wallets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous mug! I love the top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that back to work mug, just what I need.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!