Friday, June 17, 2011

the collectors: vintage wallets


.................................

i just love seeing what folks are collecting. i guess i kind of feel it tells us just a little bit about what inspires them, what they love, and what they choose to surround themselves with in their home. today, i'm delighted to present the next in the rikrak studio's collections series:  quick questions with a wonderful artist on what they're collecting, (apart from their art supplies! ) you can also check out my  *the collectors* series on Etsy, based on these posts! hope you'll just love vintage men's wallet collecting with debra of dahlila, found. 
.................................



.........................

who (are you) :  Hello. My name is Debra, but mostly I'm known as Dahlila, Found on Etsy--as in what did she find now?

what (are you collecting) : Men's vintage leather wallets, but I love coin purses too--with kiss clasps! They're snappy! You can hold them in your hand, slip them into a pocket. It's like owning a secret. I may have been a pick pocket in another life.

when (did you start) : When I started buying for my shop. There's always a bin of wallets at the thrifts. They're old and worn, divinely soft, the quintessential patina.

how (many do you have?) I buy them with good intentions to sell, but right now I seem to own more than I have parted with: 15, maybe 20. If I wasn't diligent I'd own so many more.

where (do you find them) :  In men's pockets. Did I say that aloud?

where (do you keep them) : I usually have at least one on my desk. I like to toy with it when I'm thinking. Some people fiddle with Slinkies or prayer beads, I have wallets.

what (‘s an interesting story behind one) : In a man's leather billfold, I found a Greyhound baggage stub for Chayenne, Wyoming, dated June 29, 1962.

what(piece would you like to add): I can't imagine. It's about finding something I never knew existed. I stumble across them and they end up in my hand, then my pocket. Don't worry; I do pay for them...really.

why (do you love them) :  Besides having the softest leather imaginable, something you want a whole couch in, I can take it with me. I don't really need the whole couch, just one little wallet and I can walk out the door. I may have also been wanted for my fast fingers in another life. I always seem to be looking for escape routes too. Hm?

which (one is your favorite) & why : I have a  white leather woman's billfold on my desk right now, embossed alligator, worn and nicked. It has a kiss-clasp coin pocket with a real snap. I keep saying I'm going to sell it, or use it, but it's been sitting here for months. I don't think it's going anywhere.

what (else do you collect) : pebbles, beach glass, bobbles, old buttons. See, it really is a pocket thing. 

............... 

so many thanks debra! love your collection: just perfect for father's day!

hope you'll take a moment to browse the fabulous california vintage, accessories & decor shop of Dahlila Found, too!  it's a delightful mix of eclectic finds, one-of-a-kind vintage beauties and more. you've got such a great eye, debra! thanks for sharing!

dahlila found

............... 





{and happy father's day, sunday, to all the amazing dads, grand-dads, brothers, uncles, teachers, coaches, role-models, and all-around wonderful men in our world that create a community of love & kindness for my own child & children everywhere.  i've said this before,  and i'd like to say it again: i certainly agree with the idea that *it takes a village* to raise a child. cheers to the fathering figures out there that teach great things through their examples everyday!}
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Love that orange belt! I collect Hummel figurines. My Grandmother left me her collection and I'm inspired to add to it at every chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! hummel's are so sweet, jenn. that's extra special that it's from your grandma!

    have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great to see in print. Thank you, K.

    Also, the wonderful white wallet FINALLY ended up in my purse. I LOVE it. Dreamy soft & easy to spot.

    debra aka dahlila found

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those baskets with the fruit motifs are fabulous and i love that wire stand!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!