Thursday, June 2, 2011

a collection with betsy & bess



.................................

i just love seeing what folks are collecting. i guess i kind of feel it tells us just a little bit about what inspires them, what they love, and what they choose to surround themselves with in their home. today, i'm delighted to present the next in the rikrak studio's collections series:  quick questions with a wonderful artist on what they're collecting, (apart from their art supplies! ) you can also check out my  *the collectors* series on Etsy, based on these posts! hope you'll just love vintage embroidery hoops with elizabeth of betsy & bess.

.................................






.................................

who (are you) : I am Elizabeth and my shop is Betsy & Bess

what (are you collecting) : embroidery/cross stitch hoops

when (did you start) : November 2010

how (many do you have): 23

where (do you find them) : My current collection was given to me by my grandmother, and previously belonged to my great grandmother, who passed away this past November.  Many of the hoops were used by her and her sisters.

where (do you keep them) : Hanging on the wall in my sewing room.

what (‘s a crazy/interesting story behind one) : Unfortunately I do not know any stories behind these hoops, although many of the embroidered and cross stitch pieces that these were used for remain in my family.

what (piece would you like to add): I would like to find more hoops in interesting or unusual sizes and shapes.

why (do you love them) : I love them because they are part of my family's history.  I love that my Nanny's hands touched many of them.

which (one is your favourite) & why : I love a wooden one with fabric and string wrapped around it.  I love the rustic used look of it.

what (else do you collect) : I also collect glass pitchers in many colors and ages.


.................................

gorgeous! 
i have my own little hoop collection (from my own crafty grandma!) and thanks so much to elizabeth for inspiring me to keep collecting! love how you've displayed them, nicey!

and be sure to visit the gorgeous betsy & bess upcycled purses & accessories shop, too!

i'm a great fan of elizabeth's fabulous designs, and her use of amazing vintage and eco friendly creations. such a wonderful and fresh sustainable style!

betsy & bess

happy collecting!
what do you collect, nicies?
we'd love to hear!
 
.................................








Pin It

9 comments:

  1. CUTE! I love the way she hangs them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love how the hoops are displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great collection - vintage embroidery hoops are the best!
    I love collecting doilies, especially vintage ones. Some of these I use in my creations, but others I just keep for fun or use as photo props. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous, unique collection! I love how each of the hoops looks well loved - lots of hands making lots of lovelies - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a lovely collection, with such a lovely connection to her past and the creative women who came before her. Lovely! I collect pieces of pottery from fun adventure trips. the more natural and hand-made, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! We collect Red Rose Tea Figurines. It started when my Great Aunt gave me her collection as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love hearing about all of your gorgeous collections, sweeties!

    happy collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being an embroiderer I love this collection and I especially love the modern way they've been displayed!

    I collect little bird sculptures.
    I started out with carved and hand painted ones from a local craftsman and I try to add to my collection while on holidays. I just purchased a robin from the Etsy artisan SeaPinks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful, so is her shop!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!