Tuesday, April 28, 2009

what are you listening to? {part 2}


i'm often fascinated by how one art form can influence, intersect with another. today we're talking sound. i'm asking folks (on the etsy forums & in previous posts) to tell us what they listen to... in various circumstances... here's the 2nd installment....

what are you listening to... while you make your art / craft? (part two!) here's a sampling:

toybreaker wrote: Ruben Montesco, Christopher D Ashley, Seductions, Detroit Grand Pubahs, Ellen Alien, The Knife, Adult., Lowfish, Motor, SebastiAn, Tomcraft, Fairmont, Rude 66, Kiko, Ricardo Tobar, The Reflecting Skin


fiveforty said: I am at this moment listening to a playlist my son gave me before he left for the treeplant season, Gordon Peterson is singing tome at the moment. (Hard Sun). Love the playlist and it reminds me of my boy!


paisleybaby wrote: I started listening to books on cd while I work and I'm hooked!



parallelbotany: I often don't listen to anything when I'm working. For me, listening to music is usually its own exclusive activity.


zigzagstitches wrote: I listen to CBC Radio One while I am sewing. If it's a program that doesn't interest me, I put on a CD from my rather eclectic collection.


haveitconfections wrote: I usually will put on my favorite TV shows and then minimize them. It's like listening to a radio show. I love it.



museglass said: stax recordings, daniel lanois, stones, lucinda, portishead
and on and on...or nothing.


everything ok wrote: usually i have a star trek dvd in the background, but sometimes (like this evening) i'll put on a mix cd to make sure it flows before gifting it to someone.


................................................................

so fun to hear what folks are listening to! thanks so much for sharing!


... and i'd LOVE to hear what you listen to while you craft! please leave me a message here in the comments, or on these etsy threads, and i'll try to feature as many of you as i can next time!

.......................................................

thanks so much to everyone for your kind wishes yesterday on the QYDJ feature!
::: PLEASE NOTE:::
i think the LIVE CHAT might be rescheduled until another day - so i'll post about it here as soon as i know! thanks!


UPDATE! it's on! today, tues april 28th @ 4pm EST- the etsy virtual labs! see you there!)


Pin It

18 comments:

  1. This is a great blog post!! I've started to listen to podcasts while I'm sewing and I'm totally addicted. Most of them are free on iTunes! I can download my favourite radio show from back home and listed to it every day. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my favourite TV programmes on and switch to dvds later on, generally comedy based - something lighthearted in the backgound while I knit, sew and create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a music writer, so I usually listen to albums I'm set to review as I sew. Currently, SubPop's Vaselines box set. I love multi-tasking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kudos to you!!!!
    I usually like silence when I am working =)

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listen to the kids, sometimes good and sometimes not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank you so much for featuring us in your lovely article. I now have some great ideas for other things to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I listen to CBC Radio, either 1 or 2. If it's a nice day and I have the windows open, I will listen to the birds outside.

    If I want to have some control over what I'm listening to, I'll put on a cd by Deva Premal, Prem Joshua, Enya, African tribal percussion, Ottmar Liebert, Loreena McKennit, Massive Attack, R. Carlos Nakai, Clannad, and a few more that are eluding my attempt at memory ;)
    It's so interesting to read what others like to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, I like to listen to silence while I craft. Crafting to me is my escape from the everday hustle and bustle around me. But if I do have music on, I listen to local radio stations or a random mix of the tunes that I am currently into.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love to listen to music when I'm creating. Currently in my playlist is adele, patti griffin, serena ryder, a fine frenzy, ron sexsmith, missy higgins and sarah slean.

    I also enjoy listing to lastfm.com where you can plug in a singer you like and it will make up a playlist of similar type artists - I've 'discovered' some great new singers this way.

    {why do I always seem to write a novel on these blog posts?!!!}

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just talking about this over on my blog too - http://blog.ecocessories.ca! I read your post from Etsy "Quit Your Day Job". You are very inspiring, I've just taken the plunge to doing my art full time too, and it's the best thing I've ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy (Adornyourself)

    I'm a blues and jazz fan,
    at the moment I was listeing to Saffire and the UppityBluesWomen.
    On a mellow day you might catch me listening to Dianna Krall,
    .... Big Dave Mclean, Colin James, David Wilcox, and Stevie RayVaughn
    when I'm in full tilt mug throwing mode.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I listen to movie soundtracks. I get entertainment in my head while I work. :) I am currently addicted to cinemix.us, which is web radio.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great question! When I am drawing and painting I like to listen to books on tape. However, when I am creating perfume I find that I need my environment to be as quiet as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make it a point to be listening to "love" themed music while I create... Beatles are a #1 choice too. I have a playlist on my mp3 of 111+ "love, light, hope & faith" songs including: "3 Little Birds", "Peace Train," "One Big Love," "A Big Hunk O' Love" & "Have a little Faith in Me"... While completing a paper-collage mermaid (to be posted on etsy soon) I listened to "Beyond the Sea, Splish Splash & a lot of Bob Marley!
    -jml

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lately I have been listening to the new Metric cd, but usually it's Lily Allen, Bloc Party, or Lady Gaga these days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I work best while listening to something. My favorites are Fresh Air interviews, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me radio quiz show, and of course This American Life. I usually listen to the archives directly from their websites. I also like to watch/listen to tv shows on dvd, or favorite old movies that I've seen many times. It's funny that you should ask this question because today I was listening to an interview with Drew Barrymore on Fresh Air and then switched over to listen to YOU on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. About half the time I don't listen to any music. I just enjoy listening the outdoor noises, especially as the weather gets warmer. The rest of the time it's usually Pandora. It's a great way to find new music. I switch between stations inspired by Black Keys, Proppellerheads, or Sinatra. If I'm working on something particularly repetitive I put on some mindless tv like cartoons to sort of distract me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC.. I love listening to music, right now I am listening to Band of Horses, Blitzen Trapper, Gomez, Bright Eyes, The Shins, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse. I could go on and on and on..

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!