Thursday, March 10, 2011

great green-ie: terre mum

greening.... i find it exciting and hopeful that while there sure are lots of terrible things going on to pollute & harm our planet, there are so many wonderful folks doing fabulous things to help make the world a greener, healthier place! so, the rikrak studio is happy to feature great green-ies : snapshots of amazing, inspiring. eco-forward-thinking folks & groups from all sorts of fields and paths in the greening movement. some inspire by greening at home, or in their business; in their art or the larger world, or on many levels at once! i've asked each green-ie to suggest an easy eco-idea or tip we might all be able to add to our daily lives. today i'm honoured to present the next in this series! 

................


eco friendly is great. 
and handmade eco friendly with a gorgeous design? even better.

the beautiful eco homewares shop of designer jennie harland is filled with beautiful cloth napkins, java jackets, snack bags and more handstamped in gorgeous designs.
i just love her beautiful selection of eco linen & eco cotton options, and her use of unbleached natural fabrics. with something for everyone, i can think of a list full of folks who'd just love something from this beautiful handmade shop!


jennie is a wonderfully active part of the eco-forward handmaking community and i just love that.  and now... a terre mum eco tip: My eco tip is one that I love and use all the time! At my house, we brew a lot of coffee.It was a couple years ago that I started searching for a natural cat repellant for my garden. Unfortunately, I don’t remember where I read that I should try the coffee grounds. Anyway, after you brew your coffee, save your used grounds! Sprinkle them around your garden and the cats (unless unnaturally determined) will stay away because they don’t like the smell! But wait!! There is another benefit!! Coffee grounds add nitrogen to the ground which your flowers love!! When I started adding the coffee grounds to my gardens, I also noticed some serious growth in my plants! Last year my daisies were absolutely gigantic! So brew up some joe and save those wonderful old used coffee grounds!! Add them to your compost or sprinkle them around your garden like I do! I really think you will like the results!! Your little flower friends will love you for it too!

................
terre mum

thanks so much, nicey!
have a great green day.

{ ps: thanks so much to the lovely this little bird who nominated terre mum for this great green-ie! nominate your own fave green artists here!



Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Those napkins are pretty! Thanks for introducing us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her work is lovely! I like the simple rustic colors, but it still looks modern. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree, kate & mallory! great work, isn't it? glad you're lovin' it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just love terremum and her goodies! she's so much fun to follow on twitter, too!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!