Thursday, July 8, 2010

collections with the vintageholic frog


i just love seeing what folks are collecting. i guess i kind of feel it tells us just a little bit about what inspires them, what they love, and what they choose to surround themselves with in their home. today, i'm delighted to present the next in the rikrak studio's collections series: 11 & a 1/2 quick questions with a wonderful artist on what they're collecting, (apart from their art supplies! ) you can also check out my new *the collectors* series on Etsy, based on these posts! hope you'll just love: frog brooches with the vintageholic frog.

.................................

who (are you) : My name is Maria and I run The Vintageholic Frog, a vintage shop on Etsy.

what (are you collecting) :
I collect frog brooches/ pins

when (did you start) : I bought my first frog brooch when I was 16- so about 11 years ago.

how (many do you have?): I have 25 frog brooches (not all of them are pictured)

where (do you find them) : Flea markets, thrift stores, etsy, ebay and the good old mall. Some of them have been gifted to me.

where (do you keep them) : My froggies take up a drawer in a jewelry armoire that I got on clearance at Target.

what (‘s a crazy/interesting story behind one) : A few years ago, when I was still living at home, my mom came in from the backyard with a small box in her hands. Inside was a gorgeous frog brooch. It had gold tone arms and legs, an enamel green body and rhinestones running down the back. The box had been left in the sofa in our back porch, obviously it was for me, but we had no idea who left it there. To this day, I don’t know who to thank for one of my favorite brooches.


what (piece would you like to add): I would LOVE to get my hands on a vintage Trifari Jelly Belly Frog Brooch. But they are super hard to come by and are very expensive. Every time I go to an estate sale or thrift store, I cross my fingers and hope to find one!


why (do you love them) : I love frog brooches because they are beautiful, to me- they are almost like miniature pieces of art. Plus, as far as collections go- brooches are very easy to store and don’t take up a lot of space.

which (one is your favourite) & why : I love them all, but I will say that the little green one with the moveable legs and arms has a special place in my heart. I found him in a jewelry case packed with giant costume jewelry pieces at an antique mall. I saw one of his little legs and knew that it was a frog brooch- when I was ale to pick him up and I saw his arms and legs moved I was completely smitten!


what (else do you collect) : I also collect vintage greeting cards- I have an album where I store my favorites and am currently working on scanning my massive collection.





............................

thanks so much, maria!
what a perfect summertime collection!

maria of the vintageholic frog, an adorable vintage collections shop, has a great eye for finding delightful trinkets, curio pieces and more. her shop is like a wonderful antiques boutique you find on a pretty summertime roadtrip: i could stroll thru it all day, always finding a little gem or delight at every turn. she surely has something for all lovers of vintage!

she also puts her fabulous love of sharing to great use with her popular *blog giveaways* site, that i frequent daily, { and i know it's one of the GO-TO sites for many of you when it comes to where to find great giveaways! } thanks for that, maria! such great work you do!

so visit her lovely shop, her personal blog, her wonderful giveaways blog, and more.
and enjoy all those *hoppy* little delights of summer, nicies!

what do you collect?
i'm always on the look-out for fabulous collections to share!



Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I don't have any collections that unique! I collect vintage cameras. It started when I got all of my granddads cameras when he passed away. Now I just grab them whenever I can. I love finding out the history behind each one. I want to use some of them someday (if I can!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great collection.

    After sorting thru our boys' school projects this weekend, I realized I collect every single thing they make or do!

    In need of some organizing guru to sweep in,

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria's collection is wonderful! I adore collections, what a great series of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some collections I'd love to share with you...I'll need to see if I can get a good photo. (I still have trouble photographing small items)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so much fun!

    I collect too many things . . . old cameras, vintage jewelry, vintage handbags, Nemadji pottery, rocks, books . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the vintage collections. I collect vintage tablecloths and sixties canister sets to my husbands chagrine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I collect seashells & all things nautical.
    As well, my husband & I collect clocks..fun times when it's time to move the clocks ahead & or back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I collect antique and vintage christmas items, especially Santa's!! I love decorating my 1896 farmhouse at Christmas!!! I'm also drawn to old wood carvings--I actually have a set of antique, folk art hand carved 'Seven Dwarves' that are absolutely wonderful!!! Oh, and My house is furnished with primitive antiques--all put to good use! Basically, if it's antique,handmade and worn --I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the frog pins! Super cute! I use to collect frogs as a child so definitely appreciate the post! :) Also wanted to say "thanks" for stopping by my blog! Glad you enjoyed the post on traveling with toddlers.

    ~Kati

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much for sharing your lovely collections! what wonderful ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Kristal for allowing me to share my collection :)

    Kati- I used to collect all kinds of frogs too when I was younger. But I grew out of it and decided to just stick to my frog brooch collection.
    I think frogs are adorable.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!