Monday, August 31, 2009

@ the fair!

aug2009 163


little rikrak & other fun fair friends flying thru the skies on the giant swing. august 2009


it's that lovely time of year here in ontario... fall fair time.
i just love a fun fair.
the lights, the organ-grindery sounds, the midway, the rides,
the award-winning crafts & baking, the fun!


i have such fond memories of visiting fairs from various counties as a young child with my family.
leisurely walks thru the crafts building, admiring the craftsmanship of the blue ribbon handicrafts with my mom.

flying thru the skies, joyfully screaming on rikity-rackity rides with my brother.


tasting crazy concoctions on the midway &, let's face it, loving it!


you know.. my parents met at a fair many moons ago.
and then were engaged at a different fair after that.
so i guess there's just something wonderfully familiar about the craziness of the fair for me. so festive!

how about you... what's your favourite part of the fair?
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I have similar memories because of the Stampede in Calgary, where I mostly grew up.

    My favourites are silly kids rides - the carousel, the swings. And nibbling all the weird yet awesome fair foods. And poking through the arts & crafts & tradeshow exhibits.

    These days I love to take along my daughter and enjoy these and her favourite part at so many of these is the agriculture exhibitions: cows, horses, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sounds of the fair, too.
    Here we always love the demolition derby!!!! Now my little ones love it for the crash-up fun of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to say the carousel...Fair's bring back so many wonderful memories for me too...Europe is full of them!
    GREAT photo!!!!!
    Have a lovely day!
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks nicies! love hearing your faves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The excitement you feel in the air. The sweet smell of outdoors mixed with carts of food you know are bad for you. :) The bright colors and lights. I love going after dark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got engaged at the fair, too!

    We just love it, the sounds, the people, THE FOOD!! hahaha.
    Deep fried Snickers and funnel cakes are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that it hasn't changed much since I was a kid. It's so fun to share things like the animals treats and rides with my kids and have them experience almost the same things I did when I was small. I did 3 blog posts about the fair because I just couldn't pick 1 favorite thing!

    http://blockpartypress.blogspot.com/2009/08/through-my-eyes-county-fair-part-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was always a fan of funnel cakes, cotton candy, and carousels.

    By the way, that's a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that photo-- it perfectly captures the joy and abandon of the fair. Especially if you're a little one!

    My favorite thing about the fair is the plethora of deep fried things to eat... mmmmm...! : )

    Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great photo, and it looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous photo! I love fairs, too! Such sweet fair memories for your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh i just love hearing all of your great answers! so fun! so glad i'm not alone in my fair loving!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!