Thursday, June 18, 2009

father's day: grandpas & handmaking



100+ yr old wood working tool's belonging to
photographer's father's grandfather via purduebob's photostream

last month, when we were all getting ready for mother's day, we talked here on the rikrak blog about the wonderful connection some crafters share with their grandmas. that's a special connection i myself cherish from when my own grandmas were alive. indeed, handmaking & grandmas go hand-in-hand for me!

as father's day approaches, mr. rikrak & i have been talking lots lately about the kindred thoughts we also share with our grandfathers and handmaking.

mr. rikrak had the special joy of growing up in close proximity to his grandparents, and working with, and in, his grandfather's magical wood shop. i love hearing his tales of the shop, filled with amazing handmade machines that whirred and turned and invented fabulous wooden things! i know those are such special, fond memories for my cute hubby, time creating & handmaking with, and learning from, his grandpa.

i have fond handmade memories with my own grandpas, too.
one of my wonderful grandpas has an amazing collection of antique tools that he gathered over the years, and his favourites were always the handmade tools his own father made on his farm. i could see how my grandfather so deeply cherished those handmade keepsakes more then almost any other artifact. he polished and cleaned each tool all of the time. he took such pride in his own dad's handiwork & craftsmanship, and hung them in a place of honour in his own workshop. my grandpa, like my great-grandpa, could build just about anything he set his mind too. indeed, i feel so fortunate to be part of a family that really truly values handmaking.

so as father's day nears, i feel so thankful for grandpas & the way they some share and pass on their love of handmaking with their grandchildren. thanks to all of the grandpas, & uncles & dads & fatherly figures that share their love of handicrafts with our world.

do you have a story or handicraft you think of about your own grandfather?
i'd love to hear about it.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. My grandfathers were both farmers and made truly amazing wooden handcrafts. Later in his life, my paternal grandfather taught me how to work in his wood shop, too. I feel so thankful to have that knowledge. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even convey the respect, love, and inspiration I feel for my grampa. He is a true DIY-er, and can build pretty much anything. Whether it's a garden shed, a stretcher for a canvas, a deck, restoring antiques, fixing a car, or a leaky roof, and so so so many other things, he makes it happen. Though he has slowed down in the last couple of years (he is now 84) he still does small projects, and his daily crossword- this is what keeps him happy! I have learned so much from him, and am so grateful to have a person like him in my life.

    I would not be the person i am without my grampa.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much like your story, too, OffTheHOoks! That's very sweet. My own Grandfathers were both excellent woodworkers, also. We hold dear the works of theirs we have in our on home now. Like your post, Rikrak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love hearing your grandfather tales, nicies! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!