Monday, May 9, 2011

patterns + shapes :: the spirograph

spirographs everywhere!
:: clockwise from top left corner::
........................


did you ever have a spirograph?
have one now?

i was obsessed. 
that intricate play of  the wheels-&-cogs , the geometric delight, the endless ENDLESS symmetrical designs and the spinny headiness of our 1970's spirograph set kept me obsessed for hours; no... better yet... DAYS at a time.

seeing in little rikrak some very similar obsessions with shapes, i've been on a quest for a fun hypotrochoid set of late, and after a little searching, we found the perfect one last week on a little roadtrip to the national gallery.

needless to say, we've been obsessed with it ever since.
can't talk long. gotta spiro!

how about you?


................

click on the graph image below to see the math 
behind a spirograph!
 above: via wikipedia
..............
spirograph set via hyperart

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Ooooh! My sister and I loved playing with the set at my Nona's! Good idea to get one for the little ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks cutie!
    i'm re-obsessed with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently took my children on a play date to a couple my hubbie and I are very dear friends with. They had a Spirograph sitting on their kitchen table & I was overjoyed to see it! I immediately asked for a piece of paper. hahaha. What first started as a child's play date turned out to be Mommy making Spirograph pictures for everyone. :)

    -Megan K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for including me in the spirothemed post :) I loved playing with my spirograh when I was younger, it was so much fun! Now I call it a meeting enhancement device. First sign office work wasn't for me LOL. Your blog is great btw! I'm your newest follower :)

    Cheers!
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait until my kids are old enough to master this. It was one of my favorites as a kid. Later in life geometry ruled my love of math. (spin art was another circular childhood fun)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved using different colored pens when I played with it. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for featuring my bag as well :) Very much appreciated ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally forgot about it but I know my parents have one in their cubby with well my Barbie house of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your posts !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments, nicies!
it's a joy to read what everyone writes here.
thank you!